May 15, 2015
SOUTH AFRICA has temporarily suspended deportations following a legal challenge by a human rights group which argued that it was insensitive for authorities to target foreigners, including Zimbabweans, following xenophobic attacks that resulted in the murder of seven people.Over 800 undocumented migrants have been arrested across South Africa in the past three weeks under a blitz called “Operation Fiela-Reclaim”, launched after last month’s xenophobic attacks mainly in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng provinces.
Zimbabwe’s Consul-General Mr Batiraishe Mukonoweshuro yesterday confirmed the suspension of deportations through a High Court order.
“The court order came after foreigners, including 170 Zimbabweans, were raided at Methodist Central Church in Johannesburg on May 8. Human rights activists, however, queried the deportation of the foreign nationals arguing that most of them were not given the opportunity to sort out their documentation, while some of them had valid asylum documents,” said Mr Mukonoweshuro.
He said the…
View original post 444 more words